strength in diversity
At Ball Janik LLP, we are committed to increasing diversity both in our firm and in the legal profession. We believe that being a diverse law firm - from the support staff to the partnership - enhances our perspective, increases our understanding of our clients' goals, and helps us provide practical legal advice that meets our clients’ needs. We welcome diversity in race and ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, physical abilities as well as generational diversity, backgrounds and viewpoints. Diversity makes us stronger.
Our commitment is reflected in our actions. We are proud:
- To support our local and state bar associations' efforts to enhance the diversity of the legal profession. We have joined many of our peers in signing the Multnomah Bar Association Statement of Diversity Principles, which highlights our commitment to developing diversity in Oregon’s legal community.
- That we have sponsored the activities of the Oregon State Bar's nationally recognized Opportunities for Law in Oregon, a program of the OSB Affirmative Action Program that seeks to recruit and retain minority law students in Oregon, as well as the 2008 National Conference of the National Association of Women Judges. Our lawyers have volunteered their time to the OSB Affirmative Action Committee and the Multnomah Bar Association Committee to Enhance Equality in the Profession. We encourage and support our lawyers who participate in these activities.
- To support financially, through community service and/or pro-bono work, organizations such as Self Enhancement Inc., Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Oregon, Cascade Aids Project and The Urban League.
- To support and encourage our lawyers to participate in Oregon Women Lawyers, Cascade Women Lawyers, Commercial Real Estate Women and Queen's Bench.
- To provide paid parental leave for all our full-time employees regardless of gender.
- To be one of the first law firms in Oregon to offer both opposite sex and same sex domestic partner benefits to all our lawyers and employees.
The firm’s Management Committee and practice group leaders have primary leadership roles in our diversity initiatives. By embracing diversity and inclusion, we strengthen our service to clients by better reflecting their workforces and values, as well as the values of the communities in which we live and work.